Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Green day- reading way


A green couple in front of me the whole time I was doing the test. Green must be my lucky color cause I did consistently well for all 3 Critical Reading exercises. I won't say its stellar but at least it is better than that of my real SAT.

On the petite issues first. First, I found out that computers actually lie. Yeah, they do. JL found out that they actually changed his answer choice; NNH said that hers was changed too last week. Weird huh. Secondly, my neck is still aching like ever when I was doing the test. Eyes strained too. Yu Jin commented on my questionnaire. I thought I did it right, but I guess I was wrong. Not really harsh though, with humors and all.
Jason when he found out that the com changed his answer.

Anyway I got 21/24, 21/24, 17/19 for the three tests but as Yu Jin says, the numbers don't matter. I feel that I am getting a better grasp of the text. Instead, my problem has shifted to the technical questions like vocabs(as usual) and sentence completion/correction.

Another thing that I found out during the exercises was that I feel much more comfortable reading and understanding texts which I already have prior knowledge of any kind. For example, when I was doing the art-related passage, I find it harder to digest than when I am reading the human mind passage. I also found out that if I were to read a passage with a preconception of the issue, it would make it easier to follow. Of course I must be careful not to mix my thoughts and the author's thoughts when answering questions. This is so because when I already have a stand on that issue, I read and skim for the author's point of view 1. Whether he agrees with what I say. 2. If he agree/disagree what are the points used to justify his opinion. 3. In what way are our thoughts similar and in what way does it differ.

This technique is very not applicable to 1. Issues where you have no prior knowledge/know nothing about. 2. The section where they give you 2 passage which describes the same issue from different perspective be it contrasting or from a different approach.
It doesn't apply to the formal-obviously- because you can't expect anything when you know nothing to begin with. It doesn't apply to the latter because you will end up having 1 issue, 2 approaches and 4 ideas with 2 totally clashing points. Because the 2 passage might not contrast one another, it is very likely that you will get your opinions all jumble up thus making it hard to differentiate between the two passages let alone analyze them.

2 comments:

  1. CCCCCCCCCCCCCLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL????!!!!!!!!!

    hahahahahaha...i never tot u wud seriously post our pics in this blog..adeyh....x pe laa...kasi laa...since i pun love to stalk all of u...haha....long live the greenies...

    oh yeah, btw, it's NHH..not NNH...better don't mistake me to somebody else weyh....(^_^)

    about the post: nice. wish i have the wide knowledge of yours until i can compare my own stand to the texts in the test. dat's a cool approach, u'll actually enjoy reading it. hehehehe...4 ur vocabs, actually, d only prob is, u love to guess so much that eventually u'll jumble up all the words. i must say, it is impressive how u love to manipulate the words but still, do ur best to memorize them. we have jason to explain about it. hehehehehe.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha... yup i agree. i cant juz keep on guessing the words... somehow o other i muz start remembering them...

    ReplyDelete